You may have an official diagnosis of Fibromyalgia or you may be in a state of confusion as to what is happening to your body and indeed your life. While it is appropriate to attend for tests and a medical assessment – to assist in clarifying your experience, the following are “Flags” which may point to a slide into Fibromyalgia:
Flags of Verbalised Expressions:
- “I feel like a complete hypochondriac”
- “I feel I am falling apart”
- “My bounce/spark/creativity is gone”
- “I don’t recognise myself any more”
- “Everything is such an effort”
- “If I do anything – I pay for it”
- “I feel as if somebody pulled the plug”
- “I won’t go as I don’t know how I’ll be”
- “I feel I’m ‘losing it’ with all these crazy symptoms/pain”
- I’ve never been right since ………..(“accident/bereavement” etc)
Physical Flags for Fibromyalgia
- Pain; Flitting and moving about/poorly responsive to intervention and painkillers.
- Tenderness: Prolonged or excessive responses to, often mild pressure.
- Restless Legs: Needing to move the legs or vague irritation in legs.
- Erratic Power to Body zones: Lack of endurance
- Heaviness: ‘Head’ heavy, leaden feelings in limbs
- Energy instability: Having to ‘power oneself’ or ‘charge up’ oneself with rest before an event.
- Unsteady Temperature: autonomic dysregulation of thermostat in brain.
Emotional Flags for Fibromyalgia
- Loss of robustness or coping capacity.
- Erratic or illogical emotional responses
- Emotions of anxiety/distress ‘hot wiring’ to focal zones of the body like nausea/palpitations/loose stools
- Flatness of mood: No sense of enjoyment of anything.
- Loss of interest/ability to read for leisure or work
- Reduced flow of efficiency in work environment
- Concentration and memory deterioration
- “Clunkiness” in executing complex tasks initially, then more simple tasks.
- Disappearance of extra creative edge
- Comparative slowness in processing new tasks/skills/info.
If you are noticing that your comfort and functionality has changed – observe and get conscious. Do not ignore this pattern. Sometimes, fibromyalgia starts very rapidly – but mostly it is a subtle, sliding, stepping down and away from your full life. If you are becoming unusually conscious of body parts in terms of pain, disturbance or weakness – something is going wrong. It may not be reaching a level of disturbance detectable under normal laboratory screening methods but it nevertheless is worthy of attention PAYING behaviour.
Your symptoms can come and go BUT:
- If you are losing functionality for work or daily life
- If you are losing patterns of ‘you’
- If you are beginning or continuing to feel as if you are ‘falling apart’ you are likely to be heading in the wrong direction and getting worse.
- Do not “just get on with it”
- Do not blithely “hope for the best”
- Do not “wait for the magic bullet”
- Do get local sophisticated help (if available)
- Do eliminate wheat and reduce/eliminate dairy
- Do watch other foods that upset you but don’t obsess over it
- Do cut out wine and beer
- Do limit the output of yourself to others where possible.
- Do make contact 00 353 21 4863145
WHATEVER ANY EXTERNAL OBSERVER STATES ABOUT YOUR EXPERIENCES, THERE IS NO GREATER AUTHORITY OR EXPERT AT BEING YOU – THAN YOU.